Sexual abuse affects different people in different ways.
- Impaired Trust in Relationships – The abuse may be done by someone you knew, and lead to making you afraid of trusting anyone again.
- Poor Self-perception – You may feel really bad and lose confidence in yourself
- Nightmares/Flashbacks – It is common to experience nightmares or have unpredictable times of memories of what happened.
- Sexually transmitted infections- STIs can be transmitted via any sexual intercourse, especially if no condom was used.
- Unwanted pregnancies – Anyone who has been raped should take the Emergency Contraceptive Pill within 3 days of the sexual encounter. These pills are available in most pharmacies, and in public hospitals. They are not only used in cases of rape, but also if you forget to use contraception, or where the condom might have leaked. Do not be afraid to ask for the Emergency Pill if you need it.